Skip to main content

Of Rock and Debates …

Every year we have the Annual Day celebrations at the workplace, a welcome thing in parallel with work as usual. Actually for the events the whole organization is split up into 8 different teams; this year on account of 60 years of India’s Independence, the teams were named Chak De, Khakee, Border, Sarfarosh, Lakshya, Lagaan, Nayak etc. This time it is spaced out over a period of two months, with an event or two every week, including those from the categories mind sport, physical sports, performing arts, fitness and personality etc. I had taken part in the events in 2005, but last year due to various reasons and preoccupations I did not take part in a single event. This year I was determined to reverse the trend and I did. And in what a manner!

The first event I took part in was called ‘The Debate’ - a very innovative event that was split up into 3 sections, comprising 4 members from each team. In the first section the team picks a topic, 2 members from the team go and speak for and against the topic – quite extempore. In the second round ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’ on lines of the famous TV show of the same name, separate topics are given about an hour before, to each team and we need to enact out the scene, more like a skit. In the third and final round three members from each team need to tell interconnected stories based on the three words they have chosen – and I felt it was the toughest to coordinate. Our second round went really well where the topic we had got was ‘It was a dark and stormy night and lightning flashed outside the window’ and we ended getting scores like 9, 10, 9 out of a max of 10 from the three judges, all four of us participated here. For the first round we got a topic ‘Cricket in India is all about money and politics and sportsmanship does not count’, several other good topics where also doled out. I spoke against the argument statement. The last round we got words Bangalore, Snow and Contemporary and had to weave a story which we did but it wasn’t highly coherent. And before the final scores could be announced we found ourselves tied for the second spot, an additional tie-breaker round was done, we had to speak against the topic ‘Money without women has no value’. And after a few tense moments the results were announced - we had come in second!

Next, just yesterday there was this event ‘Mock Rock’ which I had absolutely no idea about. For the debate event I had myself volunteered. But the several members of the team were such an enthusiastic group, they would not leave me for this too and I was literally pulled in and it paid off. They are a bunch of highly creative guys and gals. This Mock Rock is where you need to lip synch to music playing in the background. The key things are costumes, synchronization, dance, and the mock paraphernalia including fake guitars, drums etc. The two rounds were called ‘Videshi’ and ‘Swadeshi’. In the first round we took up a song called ‘Wicker Man’ by Iron Maiden. With masks, claws and all the back end work by a dedicated group, this round made the crowds go berserk. And in the second round we did the retro cult hit: ‘I am a Disco Dancer’, with the lead dancer giving an amazing performance along with the team-girls dancing in synchrony behind. It was for this second round that I was roped in and I dressed up in such a way as to somewhat resemble Bappi Lahiri. This time an introduction and a Nomoshkar and some words of intro in Bengali and English before the dance performance started, sent the already excited crowd into a tizzy and then they just loved the rest of it too, and during the show I had to enact the role of a drummer over card board and thermocol drums. Most other teams did equally well. But we were destined to win and as the results were announced in the order 8,7,6,5,4,3,2 our house name was left out to indicate that we had top scored, and what a grand celebration it was after that, with the open house and the crowd clapping and dancing. Not only was the whole thing enjoyable but a learning too for me, as I was able to cut out some bit of uncomfortable feelings on dancing etc and take my word – dancing is no small feat, it is highly energy sapping and the most involving form of physical exercise and artistic it is - I don’t have to confirm that, absolutely so in each of its several forms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IIMB PGSEM SOP Essays.

The IIMB PGSEM application for 2008 had a SOP section which required 5 short essays to be written. Here are the ones I had written: Statement of Purpose How do you see the PGSEM helping you in your goals? (150 words) My taking up the PGSEM course has twin objectives, namely, self-development and learning all aspects of setting up, managing a commercial/social enterprise. Having worked in the software industry for five years, I have closely seen the software development life-cycle. However, there are several aspects of business and the economy that are of interest to me and I find the time ripe to explore these in a formal way, through academics; specifically strategic management of a firm, innovation strategies, and the scope of strategic consulting. Getting ready to usher in acceleration in growth opportunities in my care

Google BigQuery & Apache Hive

Google BIGQUERY is a fast, economical and fully-managed enterprise data warehouse for large-scale data analytics. Details of querying your custom table in BigQuery: https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/quickstart-web-ui The Apache Hive ™ data warehouse software facilitates reading, writing, and managing large datasets residing in distributed storage and queried using SQL syntax. Built on top of Apache Hadoop™, Hive provides the following features: Tools to enable easy access to data via SQL, thus enabling data warehousing tasks such as extract/transform/load (ETL), reporting, and data analysis. A mechanism to impose structure on a variety of data formats Access to files stored either directly in Apache HDFS™ or in other data storage systems such as Apache HBase™ Query execution via Apache Tez™, Apache Spark™, or MapReduce Procedural language with HPL-SQL Sub-second query retrieval via Hive LLAP, Apache YARN and Apache Slider. More details on getting started: 

DNA newspaper plagiarizes my photographs!

The newspaper DNA (Daily News and Analysis - http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore ) seems to have involved in not verifying its sources of photographs and having used my photographs (does this amount to plagiarism? I think it does) after it carried some of my pictures in the 'After Hrs' section of its newspaper on 31st January 2009, which I had taken at the IIMB Yamini 2009. It is good that they covered the event but they should have cited/verified the sources of the photographs. In all probability they or their sources just picked up the photos from my blog, with the belief that no one would notice anyways - seems they could not escape as luck would have it, I spotted them in the DNA paper on Saturday. It was early in the morning when as I flipped open the last page of the supplement that I was stunned to see my pics, which I was able to recognize immediately - however there were no credits anywhere in sight! Please check the photos below from the e-paper version on their website